Self-service kiosks can assist with medical patient check-in, but proper sterilization is critical to combat the further spread of illness.
As the healthcare industry braces itself for unprecedented demand in the coming weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, patient check-in kiosks can be unassuming tools that help healthcare workers to focus on the most important aspects – treating patients while staying healthy themselves.
We know how important social distance is to curb the spread of this illness, so as hospital emergency rooms see more individuals with serious symptoms, health care check-in staff are at risk of becoming infected due to contact. Medical check-in kiosks help provide the distance needed to ensure staff is safe while check-in procedures are still streamlined.
That being said, as the global community works together to combat the pandemic, there’s also been an increased focus on how to keep communal technology, including self-service kiosks, safe from aiding in the spread of illness. The CDC has provided cleaning and disinfecting guidelines, and the following cleaning methods, recommended by our touchscreen OEM, Elo, can help businesses properly disinfect their self-service kiosk monitor.
While these measures are especially needed at a time like this, employing these practices frequently will help keep healthcare check-in and self-service kiosks sanitary between users.
The information below comes directly from Elo’s latest article entitled, “Cleaning Methods for Elo Touchscreens (COVID-19).”
- To prepare for disinfecting the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible) or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with a disinfectant chosen from the list below. Ensure excess liquid is squeezed from the cloth. You may also use recommended pre-dampened wipes.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many manufacturers require the surface to remain wet for a few minutes, so continuous wiping might be required.
- Disinfect the surfaces by wiping them with the cloth or wipe, and allow the surface to dry.
- For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with Elo products, click the link above.